Just some of the records that I remember very well

Do you associate certain music tracks with particular pirate stations or DJ's? Did the constant on air play actually make you go out and buy that track? Is that elusive tune now just a vague memory? Then maybe you need help in remembering, identifying and locating that magical song! If so, then why not reminisce, share your memories or highlight your musical genius here!

Just some of the records that I remember very well

Postby Terry Hawkins » Jul 6th, '08, 22:06

Just a few of the tunes I associate with pirate radio from the early 1980's include the following; ( A lot of these would have been played on the old ILR/BBC radio as well, but I wouldn't have noticed as I didn't listen to them! )

Please note I dont necessarily like all these tunes. These are simply memories and associations.

Mick Jackson - Weekend (early MAR)
Junior - Mama Used To Say (early SCR)
Narada Michael Walden - I Shoulda Loved Ya (various stations - David Jason)
Attempted Moustache - No Way Out (early MAR - Mike Stand)
This Final Frame - The Diary
Rainbow - Since You've Been Gone (Radio Jackie North - Rick Dane)
Daryl Hall and John Oates - Kiss On My List (early MAR - John Dwyer)
Ironhorse - My Sweet Louise (early MAR - Dave Simpson)
Billy J. Kramer - Little Children (early MAR - Bert Williams)

This is just a few tunes off the top of my head.

****************Test Posting***************
Terry Hawkins
Site Admin

Re: Just some of the records that I remember very well

Postby thepostieles » Aug 3rd, '08, 23:36

yeah remember them terry also much missed man by phil boardman on alpine, johnny and mary by robert palmer mar 1980 double love by crackin on lbc livin it up the sun goes down level 42 on station m, loads more.does anyone know what the instrimental lbc used to play on the hour?think it was from the 60s
thepostieles

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 4th, '08, 01:18

Hi Les. Yes I remember all the tunes you mention.
I know you asked me via email a while back about Phil Boardman's 'Much Missed Man'. I'm still trying to locate this. It's been listed on ebay a few times over recent months, but I've never managed to find a downloadable copy anywhere yet. You never know your luck maybe Paul Kaye or John James from Radio Alpine may join up someday and supply that elusive copy. ;)

Dave Wilson & Rodger Dee will probably remember whether Level 42 'Livin It Up' was a regular on Station M Int. I can't personally link this tune with any particular station I'm afraid, but I've no doubt it was played on Station M like you say, as well as many others.

As regards the tune on LBC, would this be included on the LBC audio that's on the Merseypirates audio section (supplied by you)?

cheers,
Gary
Gary Phillips

Postby thepostieles » Aug 4th, '08, 17:10

yes thats the one gary, i asked barry cullen via letter when lbc was on but never got a reply.does anyone know what it is?
thepostieles

Postby Steve Martin » Aug 5th, '08, 23:56

Do you have a small audio clip of the instrumental from LBC then maybe I can help.
-------
Weed FM 106.1, Xanadu 99.7& 107, Radio Jackie North 217 & 105, Notorious 87.7, Tower FM 105, Radio Merlin International 6280 kHz, Merseyland Alternative Radio 99.7 & 105 FM & 1584 kHz,
Steve Martin

Postby Steve Martin » Aug 6th, '08, 12:20

Rick James - Superfreak
Toto - Rosanna (SCR)
Sade - Smooth Operator (Atlantis 1984)
Jefferson Starship - Jane (RJN)
Les Crane - Desiderata (Radio Alpine)
-------
Weed FM 106.1, Xanadu 99.7& 107, Radio Jackie North 217 & 105, Notorious 87.7, Tower FM 105, Radio Merlin International 6280 kHz, Merseyland Alternative Radio 99.7 & 105 FM & 1584 kHz,
Steve Martin

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 6th, '08, 16:00

Ah you're right there Steve, I remember all those being played on the radio stations you list particularly Jane by Jefferson Starship, probably one of Rick Dane's all time favourite records.
Ha ha and Sade - Smooth Operator, I guess you remember that one being played on Atlantis from the funny way Rick Dane used to pronounce her name!! :lol:

I've thought of a few more off the top of my head.

Wings - C Moon (Paul Jay on Radio 252)
Booker T & The MG's - Green Onions (Steve Bishop on various radio stations)
Donna Summer - Sunset People (John Dwyer, early MAR)
Dead Kennedys - Holiday In Cambodia (Mike Stand, early MAR)
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile (Matt Black, MAR)
B-Movie - Nowehere Girl (Andy Davis, various radio stations)

By the way anyone remember the new wave type instrumental theme tune used by Paul Rogers on Radio Elenore, what was it called? I've been trying to remember it for ages.
Gary Phillips

Postby Steve Martin » Aug 6th, '08, 16:37

If you have a small clip of the Paul Rogers track I may be able to help. Other than that I will have to ask hm!

Other memories,

Any Alan Parsons or Talk Talk track, played on any Andy Davis programme :-)
-------
Steve Martin

Postby Steve Martin » Aug 6th, '08, 16:40

Speaking of Barry Cullen or Brian Keating (real name) as he was known on Marcher & Merseyside, he is now quite high up in the Inland Revenue based over in Leeds!
-------
Steve Martin

Postby Terry Hawkins » Aug 6th, '08, 22:31

Steve Martin wrote:If you have a small clip of the Paul Rogers track I may be able to help. Other than that I will have to ask hm!

Other memories,

Any Alan Parsons or Talk Talk track, played on any Andy Davis programme :-)

Hi Steve, not sure if I have a clip of audio of the theme, but I'll have a look at the weekend. Of course if you have contact with him you could always just ask him outright! :D

I agree with you on that 'Andy Davis' fella, always playing Alan Parsons and Talk Talk. It just wouldn't have been the same Andy Davis show if he hadn't played these regular!!!

As regards Barry Cullen, I must confess I never heard him on Marcher or Merseyside, but you're saying he used his real name on these stations rather than Barry Cullen. Wasn't that quite the exception in those days, don't most legal radio DJ's also use false names? Or at least a lot of them did anyway.
Terry Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby Steve Martin » Aug 7th, '08, 10:06

Yep Barry Cullen was on Marcher as a football commentator covering Wrexham, Chester & Tranmere matches. I also think he did both sport and news on Merseyside. As for using real names some do do some don't, it just depends on the name really. I suppose as he was doing sport I don't suppose he thought it mattered to have a flash name!
-------
Steve Martin

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 7th, '08, 22:20

Steve, just as a sidenote someone in my workplace has a 2nd job as a reporter/commentator on football matches at BBC Radio Lancashire. I think he does the lower division teams and some non league. ;)
Gary Phillips

Postby Steve Martin » Aug 8th, '08, 10:38

I know someone who has a similar role at Radio Merseyside, Joe Roper.
-------
Steve Martin

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 10th, '08, 00:45

'Joe Roper'...I'm pretty sure I've heard that name before. Is he still on Radio Merseyside? If so I'll listen out for him 8-)
Gary Phillips

Postby Steve Martin » Aug 10th, '08, 12:25

Gary Phillips wrote:'Joe Roper'...I'm pretty sure I've heard that name before. Is he still on Radio Merseyside? If so I'll listen out for him 8-)

I think he is still there. He normally reads out the latest local cricket scores and does the classified football results.
-------
Steve Martin

Postby thepostieles » Aug 21st, '08, 18:45

state of independance by donna summer was played by chester community radio on fm back in 84.used to be a good signal in shotton.kevin greenwood used to be on it.wonder what happened to them?
thepostieles

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 22nd, '08, 01:00

Hi Les. Chester Community Radio was another station I never heard sadly. Dont know if you'll remember, but what frequency was it on? Also this Kevin Greenwood fella, was he the station operator or a DJ and was he ever heard on any other local pirates? :?:
Gary Phillips

Postby thepostieles » Aug 22nd, '08, 18:06

think it was 102.4 or somethin.got some on tape somewhere.no dont think on other stns.used to be on sunday evenins to about 11
thepostieles

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 25th, '08, 13:55

Les that's interesting that you have some audio of this station. Would maybe like to hear it someday :)
Gary Phillips

Postby thepostieles » Aug 25th, '08, 18:33

ill try and sort after hols/ got recordin of me on deeside community radio also from 84 :D
thepostieles

Next

Return to Music Memories from the Pirates