The Baron

Talk about BBC radio, independent radio, community radio, RSL's, international radio, CB radio, ham radio, clandestine/political radio and 'Numbers' radio stations.

The Baron

Postby thepostieles » Aug 6th, '08, 16:26

anyone remember listening to the baron from the bbc? he was on radio manchester on weekday evenings about 8pm on 95.1 fm,think stn called gmr now.it was really quite kenny everish,not as good as kenny but simular.ive got some recordings somewhere have to try and find.wonder what hes doin now? anyone know?
thepostieles

Re: the baron

Postby Terry Hawkins » Aug 6th, '08, 22:44

Les, I cant say I've heard this fella. What years are we talking about?

The only BBC Radio Manchester stuff I used to listen to was in the early 1980's, mostly to the after match football phone-ins. I also used to listen to their Saturday sports programme for footy reports etc. I always remember the theme tune to the programme was some famous tv theme, which I cannot place right now. A sign of my advancing years I guess :cry:
Terry Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby thepostieles » Aug 7th, '08, 16:57

he was on from about 1975 to 1980ish .i remember when the roger whittaker song the last farewell was out .he used to say "birds eye fish fingers" from the intro bit from the advert, really good the baron.he was on from 8 to ten, then they cut his show to hour and half
thepostieles

Postby Andy » Oct 26th, '08, 21:26

He was certainly on while we (Radio Aquarius) were broadcasting (1973 to 75) and he didn't like us at all....
Andy

Postby thepostieles » Oct 26th, '08, 23:23

whys that andy? cos u pirate radio?
thepostieles

Postby thepostieles » Oct 26th, '08, 23:26

did u actually get to broadcast nxt to piccadillys opening day? how long on for? vagely remember it was a foggy morning back in 74
thepostieles

Postby Andy » Oct 27th, '08, 00:16

Yup, he had a few choice things to say about our pirate status!
We came on half an hour before Piccadilly started on their first day. They were on 97MHz and we used 96.8. It was foggy early on, and bloody cold overnight as we awaited turn-on time. We were on from about 4:30 am (can't remember now...) till mid afternoon, when the batteries ran out.
Full story over on me website http://www.freewebs.com/g1hbe and select Aquarius from the left hand menu.
Andy

Postby Gary Phillips » Oct 27th, '08, 21:38

Hi Les. That web site link Andy's just posted is well worth a look. In fact, I've bookmarked it into my favourites! :D
Gary Phillips

Postby thepostieles » Oct 30th, '08, 23:22

does anyone know where the baron is now? must be gettin on abit.is he still with us?
thepostieles

Postby Andy » Nov 8th, '08, 18:37

I've been poking about on the web and found almost no mention of him. All I've come across is this snippet from Radio Rewind:

Oct 68: 'The Baron' , an unidentified Northern person, (b. 1947) commenced at Radio 1, with a 'candid camera' style wind-up interview show with members of the public. He also presented 'European Pop Jury', a show where teenagers from Cities across Europe voted for the best disc. The Baron went on to work at BBC Radio Manchester.

I'd love to know more, just his name would be good!
Andy

Postby thepostieles » Nov 8th, '08, 20:49

i think his real name is mike but dont know surname, we have to keep lookin :(
thepostieles

Postby Gary Phillips » Nov 9th, '08, 01:08

Hi Andy & Les. I'm not sure if this particular snippet I've found about The Baron is the same info as from the information you've supplied, but here is an interesting link (a pdf) which does indeed mention The Baron;

http://www.the-mausoleum-club.org.uk/In ... r%2001.pdf
Gary Phillips

Postby Andy » Nov 9th, '08, 11:04

Thanks Gary, I'd missed that! I suspect it's the source of the Radio Rewind snippet as well. I never knew he returned to Radio one after Manchester - perhaps this will provide a new path for investigation. I love rooting things out....
Andy

Return to Other Radio Stations