Radio Merseyland, MAR & Radio Aquarius tv footage

Anyone remember Radio Merseyland, Radio Free Liverpool, Radio 222, Radio 252, Radio 242 and Radio Tower or the early days of Radio Jackie North and MAR - Merseyland Alternative Radio? If so, please discuss here!

Radio Merseyland, MAR & Radio Aquarius tv footage

Postby Terry Hawkins » Aug 31st, '08, 20:15

Just been having a look through the Granada TV archives and seen that some Radio Merseyland footage from 1972 is available for anyone with deep enough pockets. Apparently it was broadcast on 03.08.72. and featured two DJ's. I guess one would have been Bert Williams, but I wonder who the other one was. I reckon it's probably Paul Jay.
Maybe someone with the right connections could actually ask Bert!?!

Here's a description of the recording;
"Synopsis text: Rob Rohrer reporting from Radio Merseyland, a pirate radio station, which broadcasts from somewhere in the Wirral. Interview with two of the D.J.'s (backs to camera) about the risks involved in working for an illegal radio station."
Here's the link;
http://www.itnsource.com/en/Entire-Arch ... &duration=

Also noticed archived footage from MAR (31.07.81); "Synopsis text: Interior of the broadcasting studio of Merseyland Alternative Radio, a pirate radio station. Close up of advertising posters and clock on wall. D.J seen talking into microphone. Close ups of tape machine, cassette players and record decks. Close ups of female D.J reading out a letter and close up of record playing."
Here's the link;

And archived footage from Radio Aquarius in Manchester (03.07.73); "Synopsis text: Jim Walker reports on Radio Aquarius which is a new pirate radio station that has started in Manchester.
The founder explains how they hope to play progressive music and records which the BBC have banned."
Here's the link;

Radio Free Liverpool was also filmed in 1972 by Granada and featured Rick Dane (in those days known as Eric Day) and one of his station helpers, John Shannon, both of whom were wearing ‘monkey masks’ to hide their identities. I don't know if this footage still exists, it seems unlikely though as it doesn't come up when I search for it.

Any wealthy person out there prepared to buy the Radio Merseyland 1972 footage then could you please donate Merseypirates a free copy, if you could be so kind :lol:

Terry :)
Terry Hawkins
Site Admin

Re: Radio Merseyland, MAR & Radio Aquarius tv footage

Postby Steve West » Sep 2nd, '08, 03:40

Hi Terry,
Bert has mentioned this interview to me in the recent past, and the second DJ was in fact Rick Dane!

I just tried registering on that archive site, but my login is broken for some reason. How much is it to buy the 4 minutes?
I'm sure Bert would love to see it again :lol:
Steve West

Postby Terry Hawkins » Sep 4th, '08, 00:26

Hi Steve.

Wow! So Rick and Bert were included in the same footage then :)

Now Steve prepare to be shocked here :shock: , but when I enquired about some footage of Radio Caroline North back in 2005 I was quoted £198, so unfortunately it's a ridiculous amount of money and I never took it any further. This was the cost for transferring from film to vhs or dvd. Now it might be much cheaper if one actually appeared in the footage, I couldn't say for sure, so Bert could enquire as he was in it.
You'd need to quote its reference number when contacting them and I remember their email address back then was; viewers.requests@itv.com

If he enquires then good luck to him.

Terry
Terry Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby Steve West » Sep 6th, '08, 08:38

Hi Terry,

I spoke with Bert earlier and it seems that I was mistaken and you were correct, it was Paul Jay and not Eric with him on that early TV interview.
I've been in touch with the archive people and they are asking £150 plus VAT which is a ludicrous amount for a mere 4 minutes of footage. Bert was of course interested until I told him the price, but he did say he has an audio recording of it somewhere on tape so I've asked him to dig it out for me and I'll upload it when I get it.
Steve West

Postby Terry Hawkins » Sep 6th, '08, 12:28

Hi Steve. Yes I agree it would be nice to see the video, tho' the price is very off putting, but I too would like to hear this audio if Bert can find it :D

Just as a matter of interest, our forum member, Andy has found the audio for the Radio Aquarius tv footage from 1973, also on Granada Reports.

Terry
Terry Hawkins
Site Admin

Return to Pirate Radio on Merseyside in the 1960's & 1970's