RADIO RHONDA

Anyone remember Radio Merseyland, Radio Free Liverpool, Radio 222, Radio 252, Radio 242 and Radio Tower or the early days of Radio Jackie North and MAR - Merseyland Alternative Radio? If so, please discuss here!

RADIO RHONDA

Postby RADIOWIRRAL » Apr 21st, '11, 08:48

I remember several land-based stations in the 1960s, especially Radio Rhonda, which I think was on 243 metres in 1969, and later in the 1970s around 1973. At that time, Caroline had closed down in 1968, and several local pirate stations appeared. I do recall Bert Williams running Radio 252, and Sandie Shaw tracks were featured regularly.
Bert's voice was unmistakable, but the Radio Rhonda voices were more BBC-style. Does anyone know any more about these stations or any others that were around at the end of the 60s or early 70s? :)
RADIOWIRRAL

Re: RADIO RHONDA

Postby Gary Phillips » Apr 23rd, '11, 14:49

Hey it's great to hear from you RADIOWIRRAL, especially since you're someone who remembers so far back in time to the original radio pirates of Merseyside.

I do chat with Bert Williams from time to time, so I'll ask him about the original Radio Rhonda. I believe Bert was first on the air around 1968/69 with Radio 255 and then Radio Merseyland (though I stand to be corrected on the exact start date) and Eric (Rick Dane) was on from Whit Sunday 1969 with Radio Free Liverpool on 217 metres. As for the exact start date of Radio Rhonda I'm not sure of this. Yes you must be right as regards their wavelength as someone else told me that the original Radio Rhonda was on the 243/244 metres area of the medium wave.

Any other memories on stations that you have from that era would be appreciated. Or even recordings? Were you an ex pirate by any chance? :)
Gary Phillips

Re: RADIO RHONDA/NORTH COAST RADIO

Postby RADIOWIRRAL » Apr 24th, '11, 11:52

Hi, Gary, and many thanks for your memories of Radio Rhonda.

I did used to dabble in the radio scene in those days, and met Bert and also Rick Dane. Sad to read about Rick, but the legacy of local land-based stations continues, and MAR is a great station! Please say hello to Bert, and keep up the good work!
I've long since hung up the microphone, but I always listen to stations locally. I recall NORTH COAST RADIO also in the late 1980s, which seemed to be on air for a long period. There was a female DJ on there called Ellaine.

With Radio Caroline's 47th birthday yesterday, I have been tuning around to see what is on air, and glad to hear MAR on 1314 and 1395. I can't believe it's 47 years since Radio Caroline began in 1964! I remember it well!
:lol:
RADIOWIRRAL

Postby Gary Phillips » Apr 24th, '11, 23:49

Arh that's nice. An old timer eh I think they're called, aren't they? Someone who's been into radio for such a long time. :)

Will mention your memories to Bert and see what he remembers too of Radio Rhonda. Thanks again :D
Gary Phillips

Re: FREE RADIO ON WIRRAL

Postby RADIOWIRRAL » Apr 28th, '11, 09:11

Hi, Gary,

Well, not so much of an old timer, more of a person who remembers free radio on Wirral back then and now!

I've always been interested in radio, and even listened in the 50s, but mainly to Auntie Beeb! The free radio stations locally are always interesting, and MAR continues to grow. Simon Dee was a great broadcaster, too, and was the first DJ on Radio Caroline. It's a shame he's no longer with us.

If you find out any more about Radio Rhonda, or those early stations, I'd be interested. :roll:
RADIOWIRRAL

Postby RADIOWIRRAL » Jul 24th, '15, 12:15

Great to see MAR still going strong in 2015, and I recall North Coast Radio on 1350 mw back in 90s too, with DJ Ellaine playing some great music! I shall try and tune in this weekend to MAR on the frequencies above.

By the way, the VOP (Voice of Peace), on the Internet also plays great music, with Brian Cullen doing his Wing Ding show at weekends at 12 noon Saturday, with loads of pirate jingles!
RADIOWIRRAL

Return to Pirate Radio on Merseyside in the 1960's & 1970's