[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
• View topic - Old Days

Old Days

Anyone remember Radio Jackie North, MAR - Merseyland Alternative Radio, Radio Merseywaves, Radio Alpine, Radio Elenore, SCR - Storeton Community Radio, J1000, KGW, Radio Atlantis, LBC - Liverpool Broadcasting Company, Central Radio International, Station M International, Radio Wombat and many many more? If so, please discuss here!

Old Days

Postby thepostieles » Aug 4th, '08, 17:19

yeah great stations in the 80s mar mmr alpine lbc merseywaves station m, used to listen to them all. lbc was very powerful in north wales when i lived there. when alpine first came on the signal was weak, but later on was very good. yeah good days remember radio alpha too on fm and when kath and i went to a radio elenore night out in 84 in liverpool, still got photos, john freeman and the music suite ah good days, andy on adfm mfr etc. all good fun
thepostieles

Re: old days

Postby Terry Hawkins » Aug 4th, '08, 18:19

Hi postie Les, all those stations bring back great memories for me too. The only one I'm not very familiar with is Radio Alpha, as FM from the Wirral to my home has always been lousy so hopefully you can tell me a bit more about that one. In particular who ran it and the names of any DJ's?!?

I found Radio Alpine weak at times too especially in the early days as there was very strong co-channel interference on 999khz particularly in winter when the foreign stations faded in. However in later times they were very powerful. Was Andy Davis always the transmitter engineer I wonder or did they have their own transmitter engineer? Also I wonder what the transmitter power actually was?

Also great that you have some old photos of Radio Elenore DJ's. Maybe someday you can allow us to see them! Any of Paul Rogers, Peanut Kenny or Barry Cullen :D

Terry
Terry Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby thepostieles » Aug 5th, '08, 12:19

paul jay was on radio alpha. paul rogers on some photos and eric mnnaham or poison dwarf,also john freeman,keith the chief there too, chris someone who went onto the v.o.p,mark wright.paul jay was there smokin a fat cigar i remenber! it was a goodnight,plenty of music suites!i had my elenore tshirt,but prob shrunk to postage stamp size now,all the years of beer!
thepostieles

Postby Terry Hawkins » Aug 5th, '08, 22:56

So was Radio Alpha a Bert Williams station then or was it Paul Jay's?

So all those DJ names you mention at the night out, are they all on the photos, if so I'd love to see 'em!
Ha ha that sounds funny, Paul Jay smoking a big fat cigar! Would love to see that too, if it's included on your photos :D

If it's not too faded perhaps you could photograph your Elenore t-shirt and send us a copy to Merseypirates. I could add it to the Memorabilia section. Just a thought.
Terry Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby thepostieles » Aug 6th, '08, 18:59

not sure whos stn alpha was,nah not got cigar photo, ill try sort photos out for u to look at.i used to write to eleanore from time to time.think they were on 254 on mw then
thepostieles

Postby Terry Hawkins » Aug 6th, '08, 22:19

Thanks Les, would be great to be able to put a face to some of the names ;)
Terry Hawkins
Site Admin

Postby tony hollis » Aug 28th, '08, 22:48

Hi Guys. as far as I can remember alpha was paul jay's station along with a bit of a whizz kid boffin messing about with an fm transmitter,I would have to ask Roy to be positive,but I do remember a major fall out between a couple of radio engineers over it at the time,(dummies where spat out) (rattles where thrown) hahaha really enjoying some of the memories on here and it's nice to see that some of the peeps that listened where really interested and not just listeners.As for the stations I was on Radio Merseywaves
s.c.r. northcoast radio. and I did some recorded shows aswell for some other stations around the country
tony hollis

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 29th, '08, 21:28

Hello Tony. Thanks for registering on the Merseypirates forum.

I must say I remember your name quite well from those great days and sure glad the site or forum is bringing back some good memories for you :D

Also appreciate the extra info you supplied on Radio Alpha.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

cheers,
Gary
Gary Phillips

Postby Eric Monaghan » Nov 15th, '08, 17:14

Just logged on for the very first time. Having listened to Rick dane, sad to see he's passed away and bert williams from 1978. This led onto MAR, fabulous station. I still listen to their 1979 or 1980 christmas show, simply the best.

In 1982 joined Station m and teamed up with Tom lodge. He looked after the transmitters and i looked after 'the muppets', his words not mine! Enjoyed what in effect was a relatively short period in ones life.

Having been the main connection with pirates outside the area i got early warning of Leon brittans task force.

As i simply enjoyed playing the music and creating a sound not then available i didn't want to become a criminal so called it a day. Had spent some time with North Coast and then joined Tom on his ABC FM.

Was asked to help SCR and made 2 appearances. i discovered that nobody had told the previous station manager his services were no longer required. Once again i stopped and despite still getting the urge to do it all again and play great music with little chat life goes on at great speed. best station ever Nova without a doubt.

Fond memories of Dj's listeners and 2 girlfriends one of whom i actually got engaged to but never married.

Eric monaghan
Eric Monaghan

Postby Steve Martin » Nov 16th, '08, 14:41

Hi Eric

Nice to see you here.
-------
Weed FM 106.1, Xanadu 99.7& 107, Radio Jackie North 217 & 105, Notorious 87.7, Tower FM 105, Radio Merlin International 6280 kHz, Merseyland Alternative Radio 99.7 & 105 FM & 1584 kHz,
Steve Martin

Postby Steve West » Nov 17th, '08, 09:51

Hi Eric, wow now there's a name from the past!
I don't think we ever met, but I remember Willy Wombat talking about you on air back in those days.

I do pine for the 1980s when we could put transmitters on the air all day and not worry about a raid. Sadly it's not the same these days. however we still do what we can with limited resources on MAR.
Steve West

Postby Gary Phillips » Nov 19th, '08, 17:01

Hello Eric, great to see you here and did I hear your name being given a mention on Central Radio last night? ;)

You had a nice bit of history there; Station M, North Coast, ABC FM, SCR, that's quite a few stations there matey.
Hope you'll stick around anyway and if you've got any nice audio recordings to donate to our www.merseypirates.com web site then that would be cool too particularly that MAR Christmas show broadcast you mention from 1979 or 1980 :?:
No pressure :mrgreen:

cheers,
Gary
(merseypirates.com)
Gary Phillips

Re: Old Days

Postby Eric Monaghan » Nov 22nd, '08, 19:17

I first started listening to RJN im 1978. In those days it was 2 hours on a sunday afternoon which gradually increased to 4, providing there were no interruptions.
My early recording equipment was poor as was my choice for poor cassettes, usually made in Hong Kong!!
One early highlight was RJN trying every day with a slightly less rock tone to it. More of what you would call 'Housewife middle of the road'. I have one exceptionally poor recording copied from an original tape which chewed up. Phil Linton i think was the name of the DJ helping Rick.
Mentions by RJN of another of my early pioneer heroes, whom i also had the privilege to meet, Bert williams, led me to listen to Radio 252. Berts' side kick in those days was somebody i think called Tony. Reception in Old swan on my 'Westminster' transistor radio was poor.
When MAR started in 1979 it was, for me anyway, a major event. At the bottom of my road on Prescot rd was an electrical shop who very soon made a fortune out of my cassette purchases. I'd found, what i thought were some reasonable italian manufactured tapes and my collection largely is made up of these.
I remember recording every show from dave simpson opening up to Paul Raven closing down.
At 16 years old these guys were my heroes!!
I later was to discover by accident i think that said shop was run by the parents of Andy Davis who had started on MAR.
I can't remember the exact details of who and when, but basically, i'd started to chat regularly to Andy and whether i was a pain in the bum or not i couldn't say but he took me to meet Tom lodge who had started station M. By now we were late 1981/early 82. During this meeting and unbeknown to me at the time, Andy made his excuses and left, leaving me at Toms' house.
Out of which a friendship & arrangement developed whereby Tom could concentrate on transmitters and myself on Programmes.
Our line up was soon a decent one, John Brand i thought had an excellent voice, Mike Doyle, one of the few people i know to always have used his real name, Pete heaton, Roger dee, myself and Tom lodge.
As our base, i'll get out the pictures so they can be posted on this site, was a corrugated steel hut, used for Tom's weekday car business behind the unit 123 cinema in Egremont.
I supplied a 6.5m length of 48.3 od galv steel tube, up which our aerial went and over to a telegraph pole in front of some maisonettes.
Due to the nature of the structure summers were hot and winters freezing usually resulting in early finishes in January etc.
2 other significant things to mention prior to all of this was 266AM, a morning peak hour service by John Dwyer on MAR. Another fine DJ and during my time with Rick dane i recall going to one of the RJN nights at a club in a road just after central station in Liverpool, but i'm not sure which one. i remember such was Rick dane's status amongst his fans that when he and i entered the club lots of people came up to say hello, hug him etc and 2 girls actually lifted their tops so he could feel their breasts with full approval of boyfriends. This man was an idol.

More reminising to follow

By Eric Monaghan
Eric Monaghan

Postby Gary Phillips » Nov 29th, '08, 18:44

Hi Eric, a very interesting post once again and I look forward to more reminising from you :D

I too first heard Radio Jackie North during those early days around 1977/1978. The other DJ you refer to there along with Rick Dane was actually named Paul Linton, not Phil Linton. I think he got 'busted' by the G.P.O. along with Rick at one time.

Bert's sidekick would have been Tony Jones ;)

Wow Eric, so you still have some of those early recordings of MAR on 259/266. I'd truly love to hear those, absolutely incredible! :mrgreen:

Hey cool that you also have pictures of the old Station M location. Merseypirates.com would truly love to have these on the site. I'll send you an email over the weekend, Eric 8-)
Gary Phillips

Postby Alan Jones » Feb 26th, '09, 17:30

I am loving this site and all the great memories it brings back! Thanks for making the effort guys...

I was an avid MAR listener & letter writer as Nev from Parbold/Ormskirk mainly to Mike Stand & Matt Black (top chaps!). Would it have been John from Skeleton Records who lent me his collection of offshore jingles on cassette one time? (I still love A Trip To The Dentist compilation) Went to the New Brighton MAR all-dayer to celebrate Mike Stand's leaving (with Attempted Moustache & Walter Mitty's Little White Lies playing?) where bizarrely I was asked to sign autographs for listeners who were fans of my letters (!!??).

Somehow we managed to persuade Willy Wombat to give me (as Alan Jones) & my mate Andy (Stevens) occasional airtime - which was the highlight of my involvement. All came to an end when a fake raid instigated by another occasional Wombat DJ, wasn't well received.

We later built our own AM transmitter and launched WLR (West Lancs Radio) from my bedroom... fun but we never really sorted it out and I drifted away to Uni in Hull, leaving the pirates behind.

Knew Pete James, Andy Davis, Mike Stand, Willy Wombat, Mike Doyle et al.

Great days indeed - still have lots of poor quality audio & memorabilia somewhere (Parbold was a long way from the Wirral!)

Cheers
:-)
Alan Jones

Postby Steve Martin » Mar 1st, '09, 14:16

Hi Nev,

Glad you found the site. Yes many thanks to Gary for putting this site together and the contributors. Nev, if you could somehow convert your recordings and get them to Gary the whole world could share them!
I will tell Mike Stand that you found the site when I see him on Thursday. I managed to persuade him to appear on MAR 1386 just before Christmas, I don't know if you heard him, I know he is itching to appear again on either MAR 1386 or Xanadu 107 FM in the next couple of weeks.
-------
Weed FM 106.1, Xanadu 99.7& 107, Radio Jackie North 217 & 105, Notorious 87.7, Tower FM 105, Radio Merlin International 6280 kHz, Merseyland Alternative Radio 99.7 & 105 FM & 1584 kHz,
Steve Martin

Postby Fledge » Mar 8th, '09, 12:12

I also have a number of recordings/full shows from early MAR and Elenore, and their various offshoots at the time, but I don't know if they are still playable. They've been in a cardboard box gathering dust in the garage for nearly 30 years.

Nev, Parbold is a long way from anywhere!! :lol:
Fledge

Postby Steve Martin » Mar 10th, '09, 21:43

-------
Steve Martin

Postby Gary Phillips » Mar 12th, '09, 12:22

Hi Alan or is it Nev? Which do you prefer? :lol:
Really happy that you've found our forum and site and thanks for your first posting. Glad you like the site by the way.

Yes I remember hearing you as a regular letter writer to the Mike Stand Show. You were dead famous in those days :D

Yes that would be John Weaver of Skeleton Records.

Ha ha that's brill, even the letter writers were signing autographs. Just goes to show the power and influence of the original MAR! A great tale indeed that one 8-)

Nev I remember you on Radio Wombat (as Alan Jones), as I was an avid pirate radio listener myself during those days and yes as regards WLR West Lancs Radio I remember this too. I sent you a reception report once and I still have your reply here. You were using a vfo at the time and you were on a frequency below 1000 khz, around the 970 khz area. If I can dig out my letter from you I might be able to tell you more, but I remember it was pretty weak here at my location in Liverpool.
So you built the transmitter yourself? Or did Willy Wombat help you?

Nev, any audio even if it's poor quality would be greatly received for inclusion on Merseypirates. It's the historical significance of the recording that matters rather than the quality and yes I realise Parbold was a fair distance away from the MAR transmitter at the time. If you are able to send audio and you are converting the audio yourself, then please try to do it as a minimum of 128kbps, as anything less would just reduce the quality further. Thanks.
Alternatively we'll convert it for you if you prefer. You'd need to send any cassettes in to us, but we would return them once finished.
Same goes with memorabilia, any images of station literature, stickers, badges etc that we don't already have then please send if and when you get available time. Obviously check to see if we already have it or not first by visiting the Memorabilia page on Merseypirates. Any help greatly appreciated.
Gary Phillips

Postby Gary Phillips » Mar 12th, '09, 12:34

Hi Fledge. Great to have you along too!!!! :)

As mentioned to Nev in the above reply and as Steve Martin indicated we'd all love to hear the recordings that you have. I'm sure we can rescue them and convert them to mp3 format for inclusion on the Merseypirates site. If you get any time to do any of this yourself then please convert at a minimum of 128kbps. If you dont want to do it yourself, just send the cassettes to Merseypirates and we'll do it for you. If any are broken or unplayable we'll fit them into a new cassette casing to see if that solves the issue. All cassette tapes would be returned once finished with, but I leave it up to you. Early MAR and early Elenore stuff sounds like the sort of stuff we want 8-) :)
Gary Phillips

Next

Return to Pirate Radio on Merseyside in the 1980's & 1990's