Log reports of local pirate radio activity

Do you remember Weed FM, Radio Xanadu and Tower FM? Do you still listen to MAR - Merseyland Alternative Radio, the Radio Jackie North tribute station, Central Radio or Power FM? If so, please discuss here!

Log reports of local pirate radio activity

Postby Gary Phillips » Oct 27th, '08, 21:55

I thought this might be an interesting thread to start posting. Loggings of local pirate radio stations in Merseyside. I'll start off with what I've heard or know of from the last few days or so. Please add to it if you hear anything, a sort of diary of pirate radio :D

Friday 24th Oct.... Rise FM evening test (non stop music) 102.2 FM
Saturday 25th Oct... Power FM on 87.9 FM through the evening with a strong signal in most places apparently.
Saturday 25th Oct... MAR late evening through to early hours Sunday on 105 FM with Bert Williams (strong signal)
Sunday 26th Oct... Rise FM on 102.2 FM on Sunday evening (good signal where I am)
Sunday 26th Oct... MAR on 105 FM. Also reportedly was broadcasting on 99.7 FM stereo
Gary Phillips

Re: Log reports of local pirate radio activity

Postby Gary Phillips » Nov 4th, '08, 01:08

More loggings (if anyone has any others please post to this thread);

Saturday 1st Nov... Power FM on 87.9 FM. Not actually heard by myself personally, but widely reported by others, also according to reports were suffering from transmission or link problems.

Saturday 1st Nov... MAR test transmission on 6266 Khz shortwave. Short test only, not heard by myself.

Sunday 2nd Nov... MAR on 105 FM and 1170 Khz AM. Yippee!! So AM aka mediumwave is back! Only a weak signal where I am unfortunately, but broadcast quality was very nice according to reports closer to the signal. Hopefully the signal will improve in strength over the coming weeks.
Gary Phillips

Postby Gary Phillips » Nov 19th, '08, 19:41

More recent loggings (if anyone has any others please post to this thread);

Wednesday 5th Nov... MAR test transmissions in the late evening and through the early hours of the 6th on 1170 Khz, not heard by myself.
Thursday 6th Nov... MAR test transmissions in the late evening and through the early hours of the 7th on 1170 Khz, not heard by myself.
Sunday 9th Nov... MAR on 105 FM using two transmitters. One being a relay.
Wednesday 12th Nov... MAR Test transmissions from two MAR relay transmitters. One tx was on 105 FM and another on 99.7 FM. Different music on each. The main broadcast transmitter was not on the air tonight. Also I never personally heard the 99.7 FM transmission.
Friday 14th Nov... MAR short test in the late evening on 99.7 FM.
Saturday 15th Nov... RJN tribute. Radio Jackie North on 1384 Khz AM came on late evening. Weak but listenable at my QTH. This was on throughout the night and all through Sunday.
Sunday 16th Nov... Radio Jackie North continued through the night on 1384 Khz and from 6am onwards the 105 FM transmitter was on air as well with a full line up of DJ's for the day. Same output on both transmitters. (1384 Khz was announced as 1386 Khz)
Tuesday 18th Nov... Central Radio International were heard far and wide on 100.8 FM from mid evening till a bit after 1am.
At some point during late evening there was also a relay of Central Radio on 102.2 FM courtesy of Rise FM.
Wednesday 19th Nov... Rise FM heard in the early morning after 1am on 102.2 FM. Not sure how long they stayed on for.

Well recently that's all I've heard personally or heard of. If you know of any I missed out let me know. Any news on The Scene, Power FM or LPR? :?:
Gary Phillips

Postby Gary Phillips » Dec 7th, '08, 18:19

More loggings;

Saturday 22nd Nov... MAR late evening continuing right through the 23rd November on 1384 Khz AM (announced as 1386 Khz).
Sunday 23rd Nov... MAR continued all day on 1384 Khz AM. Also joined by its 105 FM transmitter from the early morning.
Tuesday 25th Nov... 'Test procedures' on 99.7 FM from Bert, announcing no station name, just ID'ing as '997'
Wednesday 26th Nov... More tests from '997' on 99.7 FM from Bert.
Thursday 27th Nov... More tests from Bert on 105 FM.
Friday 28th Nov... MAR test in the evening on 1386 Khz (they are now exactly on frequency after grinding the crystal)
Friday 28th Nov... More Bert tests on 99.7 FM (these could not be heard by myself)
Saturday 29th Nov... More Bert tests on 99.7 FM (these could not be heard by myself)
Saturday 29th Nov... Power FM could be heard in the evening on 106.7 FM (the recently vacated channel of KCR)
Saturday 29th Nov... MAR late evening continuing right through the 30th November on 1386Khz AM
Sunday 30th Nov... MAR continued all day on 1386 Khz AM. Also joined by its 105 FM transmitter from the early morning onwards and joined by an additional 105 FM relay transmitter throughout the evening.
Sunday 30th Nov... More Bert tests on 99.7 FM (these could not be heard by myself)
Thursday 4th Dec... MAR evening tests from their additional relay transmitter on 105 FM. Main 105 FM transmitter not on.
Saturday 6th Dec... MAR morning tests on 1386 Khz AM. Back on the air by the late evening and continuing right through the morning of Sunday 7th December.
Saturday 6th Dec... More Bert tests throughout the day and into the evening on 99.7 FM (these could not be heard by myself)
Saturday 6th Dec... Power FM could be heard in the evening on 87.9 FM.
Sunday 7th Dec... MAR continued on 1386 Khz AM but with low audio modulation issues which eventually forced them to switch the AM transmitter off the air during the early afternoon. The 105 FM transmitter came on early morning and was unaffected by the AM transmitter issues. This stayed on the air all day. By the evening time an additional 105 FM relay also took to the air. Both 105 transmitters stayed on till the early hours of Monday morning.

Recently that's all I've heard personally or heard of. If you know of any I missed out let me know.
Gary Phillips

Return to Pirate Radio on Merseyside from 2000 to 2008