What are your thoughts on Weed FM?

Do you remember Weed FM, Radio Xanadu and Tower FM? Do you still listen to MAR - Merseyland Alternative Radio, the Radio Jackie North tribute station, Central Radio or Power FM? If so, please discuss here!

What are your thoughts on Weed FM?

Postby Terry Hawkins » Jul 6th, '08, 22:08

***************Test Posting**************

Exactly as the subject says. Weed FM......controversial certainly, but was it good or bad?

Terry

***************Test Posting**************
Terry Hawkins
Site Admin

Re: What are your thoughts on Weed FM?

Postby free_radio_nut » Aug 14th, '08, 17:35

I thought Weed was a great radio station, my mates also listened regular. I think its name gave it a sort of cult following :lol:

By the way Merseyside pirates is a great web site and enjoyed listening to some of the old recordings on there. Keep it up!
free_radio_nut

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 15th, '08, 23:12

Hello free radio nut. Glad you like the web site and welcome along. As regards Weed FM, I dont know very much about it, but apparently one of the guys involved was named the Little Green Man, what a great name! :lol:
Gary Phillips

Postby Steve West » Aug 19th, '08, 21:17

I've got some of the little green man on cassette tape somewhere - I'll have a look and see if I can find them and upload them to Merseypirates if there's any interest?
Steve West

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 19th, '08, 23:10

Hi Steve, glad you've joined the Merseypirates forum :D

I for one would love to hear any audio of the Little Green Man. He sounds a real wacky cool dude! :lol:
Gary Phillips

Postby Steve West » Aug 21st, '08, 09:52

Wacky is an understatement, sadly he ended up being sectioned to a mental health ward.

Great bloke though, I'll never forget the moment I first switched on the Weed FM rig and the theme tune "Pirates Anthem" boomed out from the top floor of a tower-block. The Little Green Man was beaming, dancing around and hugging everyone in sight :D
Thanks to the publicity we'd done with flyposters, the phone started getting texts literally within minutes!
Steve West

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 22nd, '08, 00:52

Hi Steve. I must say Weed FM sounds like it was quite a successful radio station in its time, apart from the raids obviously. I guess they had a few of these. Also I do hope LGM got well again
Gary Phillips

Postby Steve West » Aug 25th, '08, 06:07

I'd say it was probably the most popular station ever, or at least this decade on Merseyside - everyone had heard about it!
Probably more down to its controversial name and message it really seemed to hit a chord with young people even though when we first started the music policy was "strictly reggae" it was truly incredible the feedback we got.
As an example when I was up in court for the Radio Xanadu bust sitting with the chavs and criminals someone asked what I was up for. When I said "Pirate radio" they said "that Weed FM?" and when I said yes, I was involved with that I was literally surrounded with well-wishers, pats on the back etc.

Yes, Weed FM got raided every few weeks but we only ever missed one weekend. LGM was great at finding locations and always had a spare TX ready. We bought 2nd hand cheap PCs to replace the ones stolen by Ofcom. I spent many a sleepless night setting up new playouts with SAM version 2.

And yes, gladly LGM is now back to full health.
Steve West

Postby Brian Grant » Sep 12th, '08, 15:28

Hiyya Steve

I have fond memories of Weed FM. Superb station that was always fun to listen too.

BG
Brian Grant

Postby Steve West » Sep 13th, '08, 07:10

Hi Brian, Good to see you here matey!

It was great fun running Weed FM with the LGM, although he'd usually be sitting down getting stoned while it was muggins here setting up the rig! It certainly was compulsive listening while LGM was on live, a bit like Bert is, you'd never know what he was going to rant about next!
Steve West

Postby johnny_b_shock_fm » Oct 30th, '08, 17:37

right hi there everyone

thought weed fm was well class loved listen to it and loved the way they were on the air as much as they could
must of been a lot of cash put in to weed fm...
if i had the cash i would do a 24 hour dance station and get everyone involed . but am a poor lad with a
girlf..
loved the tunes it played and also loved the djs that was on there.. big up the weeed fmmmm crew and lgm

johnny
johnny_b_shock_fm

Postby Steve West » Nov 2nd, '08, 07:57

Hi Johnny glad to see you found this forum matey.

Yeah Weed FM lost seven 150 watt rigs to raids and the same number of computers. A few bob's worth!
Steve West

Postby Gary Phillips » Nov 4th, '08, 00:35

Hi Johnny, nice to see you joining the Merseypirates forum.

I only ever heard Weed FM on a few occasions unfortunately as I wasn't really into the radio hobby as much in those days and I had too many other things going on at the time, but I must admit knowing what I do now I very much regret missing out on it. My radio interest was mainly from the mid 1970's to the early 1990's, however I'm now back with a vengeance :D

As regards a 24 hour dance pirate; that I agree would be very welcome, especially since Liverpool and it's surrounding areas are a fairly large sized city. It certainly has a large youthful population along with a very large student community, tourist base and club scene. I think it's about time Liverpool took on the other cities and got its own 7 day a week dance pirate on the air, but as you say it's very very costly. Maybe some interested individual could seek financial help in organizing and setting up a pirate from the local clubs circuit!?!
Gary Phillips

Postby david » Sep 29th, '09, 14:08

hello terry i only heard of weed fm from other people and the 3 recordings you have on mersey pirates forum but id love to here more and i reid a bit about weed fm on the internet but id love to reid more it sounded like a good reggea station so what i hope is if some body has any recordings of weed fm or the little green man or weed fm prank phone calls or weed fm bingo or the little green man and joe blow prison phone calls or any recording of weed fm on there pc from when they listened to weed fm or any recordings of weed fm on cassette tapes or cd would they get in touch with mersey pirates forum good luck for now terry
david

Postby Gary Phillips » Oct 4th, '09, 11:42

Hi david. Thank you for joining Merseypirates. I echo your thoughts entirely. Anyone have any recordings please send in :D
Gary Phillips

Return to Pirate Radio on Merseyside from 2000 to 2008