RNI

Do you remember the original pirate radio stations based at sea? Radio Caroline North & South, Radio London, Radio 270, Radio North Sea Int, Radio Veronica, Radio Atlantis, the Voice of Peace and Radio Laser. If so, please post here.

RNI

Postby thepostieles » Aug 10th, '08, 18:04

yeah remember rni in 70s, they used to play judge dreads records that the bbc wouldnt play, though the baron used to on local bbc.not great reception in north wales where i used to live :shock:
thepostieles

Re: rni

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 12th, '08, 21:16

I was a bit too young to know about RNI. It certainly seemed to have an adventurous time whilst on air, never a dull moment certainly!!! I'd loved to have heard it live on my radio :cry:

My first pirate radio stations heard at sea would be Radio Caroline and Radio Mi Amigo during the mid 70's. I remember many a late night tuning in and being fascinated by these great signals from the Mi Amigo ship. Often used to hear the American religious programming too before the main Caroline English service started in the evening. One name that springs to mind was Roy Masters and his Foundation of Human Understanding. I just googled him and he's still going! :lol:
Gary Phillips

Postby thepostieles » Aug 12th, '08, 22:33

yeah gary, used to listen to caroline when it came on after mi amigos ktel advert! then the love ship came on.tony allen,simon barrett etc good stuff :D
thepostieles

Postby Steve Martin » Aug 12th, '08, 23:38

My earliest memories of offshore radio were from the Mi Amigo in early 1980. I remember the excitement when I first heard the words "Caroline 319", the signal was real anorak quality at times, but I listened non stop. i also remember the excitement of August 83 when I heard the test transmissions from the Ross, but thios time it wasn't anorak quality, it was bloody strong after dark, anorak quality during the day! Whatever happened to Dixie Peach??? He went to Radio 1 and was never heard again!!!!!
-------
Weed FM 106.1, Xanadu 99.7& 107, Radio Jackie North 217 & 105, Notorious 87.7, Tower FM 105, Radio Merlin International 6280 kHz, Merseyland Alternative Radio 99.7 & 105 FM & 1584 kHz,
Steve Martin

Postby thepostieles » Aug 18th, '08, 22:13

wonder what happened to don stevens from caroline too? :?:
thepostieles

Postby Gary Phillips » Aug 19th, '08, 23:29

Hey Steve and Les. You certainly bring up some memorable names from the past there! My main DJ memories from Caroline whilst on the Mi Amigo are Tom Anderson, Stevie Gordon, Tom Hardy and Nick Richards, oh and yes I do remember Dixie Peach from a different era on the Ross Revenge :) My other memories include their publicity for the Caroline South Roadshow and listening to the wonderful Caroline Overdrive. Superb stuff even though it faded away at times due to the propogation at night.
Gary Phillips

Postby Andy » Sep 1st, '08, 14:03

I used to love RNI. I recall I discovered it testing one Winters night while I was fixing someone's radio for them. There was Roger Day, telling us all about it. It was right up at the top end of MW where most radios will only just reach, then they moved down a bit. Then the jamming started and it was a game of cat and mouse between 217, 244 and 220m. 244m put them very close to Radio One on 247 and the jamming didn't follow them there, but R1's strong signal made reception of RNI difficult in some parts. Blimmin' marvellous.
Excuse me while I take a nap. The nurse will be round in a minute =0)
Andy

Postby Gary Phillips » Sep 1st, '08, 23:02

Andy, sounds like it was real fun and interesting listening back then. What did the jamming signal consist of, was it a test tone?

We used to have a lot of jamming in the early to mid 1980's on Merseyside, but it wasn't the government doing it, it was certain pirates jamming each other, we even have a name for it, 'the pirate wars', but that's another story ;)
Gary Phillips

Postby Andy » Sep 2nd, '08, 12:57

Hi Gary. It was mainly a 'wobbled' carrier, giving a sound like a very fast police siren. Apparently the jamming transmitter (in Kent I think) was so powerful that it was causing problems for miles around. Peoples' hair catching fire, that sort of thing :D
Andy

Postby Gary Phillips » Sep 4th, '08, 00:00

ha ha really? That's some powerful jammer they used! I like the cool way RNI used to move next door to Radio 1 and dared the jammer to follow, that soon stopped it in its tracks :lol:
Gary Phillips

Re: RNI

Postby schilderke » Aug 17th, '10, 19:08

Hallo iedereen en bedankt dat ik ook op deze site mag.Maar ik heb een vraagje want ik ben gepensioneerde man en heb een blinde vriend ook van die leeftijd.Zijn beste jaren waren toen hij nog zag rond de jaren van radio noordzee international en caroline en hij is verzot op die hun RNI om nog is te kunnen beluisteren.Nu is mijn vraagje is er aan te raken of te kopen ofzo??dat zou hem veel plezier doen.Hopelijk begrijpt iedereen me en is men niet boos op mij vanwege deze vraag ---groetjes en dank
schilderke

Return to Offshore Pirate Radio