Manchester Pirate radio stations

Talk about other Land Based Pirates here. LBP's from London, the Midlands, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Ireland, Holland, Spain, Italy and the USA.

Manchester Pirate radio stations

Postby Gary Phillips » Sep 5th, '08, 01:11

Just thought I'd let you all know some rather nifty vintage audio has been added to the main Merseypirates site. So thanks to Andy for all the Manchester based pirate radio audio including jingles from the likes of Radio Aquarius and Radio Phoenix.
Also included is an audio soundtrack from Granada Reports 1973 featuring Radio Aquarius :D

Also of note included is a short clip of Radio Mirinda. A rather mysterious pirate radio station, forgotten in the mists of time, nothing is remembered about this. Though it's thought to be a Manchester pirate judging by the accent on the DJ, but nothing known for sure. The music is all 60's so Andy's best guess is this pirate was from the late 1960's, but this is only guesswork. It announced 300 metres medium wave, frequency 1000 Khz. Anyone know anything more on this one :?:

cheers,
Gary
Gary Phillips

Re: Manchester Pirate radio stations

Postby thepostieles » Sep 15th, '08, 19:27

good stuff gary. think pheonix radio were on 220 mw in the 70s very weak signal in north wales
thepostieles

Postby Gary Phillips » Sep 22nd, '08, 22:19

Hi Les. It's weird that you remember this Radio Phoenix from wayback then. Also you may like to know one of our very own forum posters, Andy, was actually involved with this radio station :D It's a small world eh?
Gary Phillips

Postby Andy » Sep 26th, '08, 19:09

Cor, I never knew it got out that far! Phoenix was just a sort of lark that we put on when we felt like it. At first when this subject came up, I thought it must have been a different station, but the frequency is right and so is the year. Must be! :lol:
Andy

Postby thepostieles » Sep 26th, '08, 21:47

yeah i did pick it up but i had to have volume high, but it was there :)
thepostieles

Postby Andy » Sep 27th, '08, 13:55

Les - I can date Phoenix fairly accurately. I'd just met Hillary, my new girlfriend and asked her round 'to do some voices for my radio station'. Wahey! It sure beats looking at the etchings! She had a lovely voice. She'll be an old bag now, not like me of course. This must have been between April and August 1975. I think I've still got several takes of her doing some voices, but I suspect they're on reel-to-reel. I really must get an old reel machine and transfer them before they turn to dust...
Andy

Return to Other Land Based Pirate Radio